27 August – 4 September 2021
TUTORS Stefano Gervasoni and Marco Stroppa
ENSEMBLE IN RESIDENCE Divertimento Ensemble
CONDUCTOR Sandro Gorli
PLACE Orsolina28, Moncalvo (AT)
APPLICATION DEADLINE 31 January 2021
Maximum number of active students: 12, composition for ensemble; 6, composition for solo instrument
WHY WAS IT CHOSEN? Because it is a composition course with concert performances of Its own scores
INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP FOR YOUNG COMPOSERS
The composers accepted are invited to write an original piece, on which they will have the opportunity to interact with the musicians of the ensemble, its conductor and the two tutors, until its performance in concert.
HOW TO PRESENT THE APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
Any composers born after 27 August 1986 who are interested in applying must submit the application for admission, available at the following page, by 31 January 2020
HOW TO PARTICIPATE AS A OBSERVER
It is possible to attend the Workshop as a “present” observer upon payment of the participation fee, indicated below. All the productions of the Workshop can also be attended “remotely” by the observer students on the website idea.divertimentoensemble.it on the dedicated page.
To participate as observers, it is possible to compile the application available on this page:
HOW TO LISTEN TO PUBLIC PERFORMANCES OF THE COMPOSITIONS
All the compositions will be performed in four public concerts:
• the compositions for solo instrument on 3 September 2021 at Orsolina28 in Moncalvo and repeated on 10 September 2021 in the Castle in Casale Monferrato;
• the compositions for ensemble on 4 September 2021 in two concerts at Orsolina28.
A maximum of two compositions for ensemble and two compositions for solo instrument will also be selected by the two tutors and the musicians of Divertimento Ensemble after the performances and will be included in the Rondò 2022 programme, the Milan concert season of Divertimento Ensemble.
HOW TO FINALIZE THE ENROLMENT
The accepted composers and the spectators must complete their applications by paying the balance of their participation fees.
Active student, Workshop for ensemble € 1.500 to be paid in two instalments: € 750 by 15/03/2021; € 750 by 30/04/2021
Active student, Workshop for solo instrument € 1.000 to be paid in two instalments: € 500 by 15/03/2021; € 500 by 30/04/2021
“Present” spectators for the entire duration of the Workshop (9 days) € 900 to be paid in two instalments: € 450 by 15/03/2021; € 450 by 30/04/2021
“Remote” spectators € 150 to be paid within 7 days of the start of the Workshop
The fee includes board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and lodgings at Orsolina28 (see paragraph dedicated to the Residence):
• for 9 days (arrival 27 August, departure 5 September) for students accepted with compositions for ensemble and for the present observers;
• for 6 days (arrival 29 August, departure 4 September) for students accepted with compositions for solo instrument.
The composers accepted with scores for ensemble:
• are invited to write a composition for ensemble whose overall instrumentation, with no less than 5 performers, will be comprised among the following instruments: flute (also piccolo, flute in G and bass flute), oboe (also English horn), clarinet in B flat (clarinet in E flat and bass clarinet), horn, two violins, viola, cello, piano, percussion (vibraphone, glockenspiel, crotal bells, 3 suspended cymbals, tomtoms, 3 toms, bass drum, 3 wood blocks, small percussion instruments tobe agreed);
• or they may present a composition already written for the same instrumentation, including the one submitted for acceptance.
In either case, they should submit the complete score and the parts for performance by 15 June 2021.
The composers accepted with scores for solo instrument:
• are invited to write a composition for solo instrument, chosen from among the 3 identified by Divertimento Ensemble for each composer, within the overall instrumentation of 10 instruments indicated for the composition of the ensemble piece;
• or they may present a pre-existing composition, including the one submitted for acceptance, provided it is written for one of the instruments indicated by Divertimento Ensemble.
In either case, they should submit their composition by 15 June 2021.
In the event they elect to write an original piece, during the work of its actual composition until the beginning of the Workshop, they may have personal contact with the individual performers.
The compositions should last no longer than 7 minutes.
IDEA activities will take place in compliance with current regulations in Italy to combat and contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus.
0039 392 2880857
Project curated by Divertimento Ensemble
Artistic Director Sandro Gorli